Saying NO in 2017
2016 was filled with learning experiences and challenges. Some things I left behind and some, I'm bringing over into the new year. Listed below are 5 things that I am absolutely, positively leaving behind.
- Bullshit - That’s right. Let me just go’n and put that out there in the atmosphere right now. You can call it foolishness, nonsense or whatever word you so choose to make you better understand what I mean. I know you may be thinking, “Who pissed her off?!” And the answer would be ME! I pissed me off with all of the lackluster, half-ass efforts I’ve been putting into my business and myself over the years. One of the things I learned in 2016 as I exposed myself to people from all over the world was that I am doggone good at what I do. But I’ve been lying to myself for years, pretending to be running a business when in actuality I’ve running an expensive hobby. Fooling myself (and others around me) that I was trying my hardest when deep down, I knew I wasn’t. My efforts reflected that of somebody that didn’t need serious coinage or someone that wasn’t trying to create a legacy for her family. And here’s something I know about me. I can do ANYTHING if I really want to do it. Well, I’m tired of faking the funk. I’ve learned some things in 2016 that I will be implementing this year. So, yeah BS time is ova! Which leads me to number 2.
- Fear - a lot of the reason I was BSing myself was out of pure fear. Fear of what you may ask? The unknown. I don’t do well with things I don’t understand and things I don’t know the outcome of, especially if there isn’t a proven example before me. I don’t have a successful entrepreneur in my family or at least one that displays my vision of success. But the truth is, I’ve been living the entrepreneur lifestyle full-time for 9 years with my husband and children and we have always had a roof over our heads and food to eat. So what am I afraid of? Ok, me either. So I may as well do it. Do it bold and do it afraid.
- Procrastination - This list all ties into each other. So basically when I’m afraid to do something OR if I just don’t want to do it, I’ll feed myself a bunch of nonsense that will make me so “busy” that I wait until the last minute to get things done. The proof of that is every where I look. From the stack (scratch that) pile of clothes that have yet to make their way to their proper home, to the email that will only take 2 minutes to write but still hasn’t been written. Now I’ll admit, some things that don’t get done are honestly forgotten which means disorganization can take the credit for that. But there are other tasks that I KNOW I need to do and well…
- Excuses - Everyone’s got them and some of them are valid and understandable. In my case, I looked at the excuses I use (I forgot and I was busy are the top 2). Then I got to the root of WHY I forgot and why I was busy. Did I forget because I wasn’t interested in doing said task in the first place so I didn’t make a conscious effort to remember? Hmm. And was I really busy as in productive or was I busy on Facebook? Yeah chile I’ve been crackin’ the whip on myself.
- Depression & Anxiety - This one is a little personal to me. In August of 2016 I was formally diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder and Persistent Depressive Disorder. The bad news is that I’ve struggled with it since my early teens and had a few rough moments that I didn’t understand and couldn’t work through. The good news is that I’m temporarily on medication and seeing a counselor and now that I know what’s going on with me, I’m more in tuned to triggers and have learned how to counteract some of the responses I’m used to experiencing. So yep, in the 2017 depression & anxiety can both kick bricks!
What are you saying NO to this year? Shoot, what are you saying NO to today? Leave your comments below. I'd love to hear from you.